1 Day Intruder Awareness and Response for Church Personnel - Cullman, AL
Sep 30, 2022 at 08:00 — 16:00 (CDT)
Organiser: Strategos International
"No textbook, video, or speech can compare to the hands-on, real-life situation training that they are passionate and devoted to giving.” - Barney Munhollon, Strategos Training Attendee
Many churches have taken comfort in the thought that “it could never happen here.” But headlines and a steadily-growing body of statistical evidence demonstrate that violence in faith-based organizations is not an if, but a when.
This course will educate you on recognizing behavioral pre-cursors because knowing someone's body language is many times a sign of nefarious intentions or actions to come. Also, the behavioral indicators of armed individuals whether they are lawfully armed or unlawfully armed will be covered in great detail.
A review of statistics and trends of crimes against churches since 2007 is conducted, and the justification of safety & security within the church complete with biblical authority is reviewed and discussed. A de-brief of several in-progress crimes against persons at churches and church events for lessons learned and historical trends are covered as well.
A discussion and practical training block on “the art of the handshake” and the “technique” of the handshake will be presented. Discussion and demonstration on distancing and closing strategies for those approaching and evaluating potentially armed individuals, in a welcoming and hospitable manner, so that the church mission is not compromised will be presented as well.
Additionally, this course provides strategies for de-escalating conflict from a verbal point of view and covers what phrases and language to avoid to prevent a conflict from escalating. An overview of lockdown procedures for both “THREAT INSIDE” and “THREAT OUTSIDE” lockdown of a church facility as well as protocols for what to do when “lockdown fails” will be taught, should verbal de-escalation not be an option.
Who should attend?
- Church Ushers
- Church Greeters
- Church Leadership
- Security/Safety personnel
- Parking Control personnel
- First Line Reception Personnel
- Other staff in frequent contact with the congregation and visitors
- History & demographics of church violence & church shootings
- Importance of “Awareness” in relation to prevention & mitigation
- Biblical authority for church safety & security
- Church lockdown protocols & principles
- Lockdown failure response protocols
- Awareness Priority Matrix for the Campus & the Sanctuary
- Educating ushers, greeters & other first-line reception personnel
- Recognizing traits of suspicious behavior
- Recognizing traits of armed individuals
- Approaching suspicious or armed individuals
- Verbal conflict management & de-escalation