Domestic Abuse Bill: A Multi-Agency Approach
Oct 9, 2019 at 09:00 — 16:00 (BST)
Organiser: The Haven Wolverhampton
The Haven, in partnership with Cornwall Street Barristers are delighted to introduce this one day conference.
About this Event
Cornwall Street Barristers in partnership with The Haven, are delighted to introduce this one day conference discussing a multi-agency approach to the new Domestic Abuse Bill as it works its way through Parliament into Law.
See below for the full program. We are proud to announce a fantastic line up of speakers including:
- HHJ Dowding, Designated Family Judge in Wolverhampton;
- Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor, Suzanne Llewellyn (as strategic lead for Domestic Abuse);
- The Police and Crime Commissioner, David Jamieson;
- Charities - Women's Aid Federation of England, The Haven and SafeLives;
- The Director of Public Health at City of Wolverhampton Council, John Denley.
The landmark draft Domestic Abuse Bill was published by the Government on 21 January 2019, aimed at supporting victims and their families and pursuing offenders. The new legislation will:
- Introduce the first ever statutory government definition of domestic abuse to specifically include economic abuse and controlling and manipulative non-physical abuse;
- Establish a Domestic Abuse Commissioner to drive the response to domestic abuse issues;
- Introduce new Domestic Abuse Protection Notices and Domestic Abuse Protection Orders to protect victims;
- Prohibit the cross-examination of victims by their abusers in the Family Courts; and
- Provide automatic eligibility for special measures to support victims to give evidence in Criminal Courts.
This conference will explore the practical elements of the new legislation for Lawyers and domestic abuse practitioners alike as cases progress through the Courts. It will also seek to explore whether the new legislation goes far enough on public protection and public health concerns and if there are any additional measures that need to be considered.
9:00 am - Registration
9:45 am - Welcome and Introduction to the Bill - Juliet Hearne, Head of Family Team Cornwall Street Barristers.
10:15am - A view from the Judiciary - HHJ Dowding, Designated Family Judge, Wolverhampton.
11am - Public Safety Concerns - David Jamieson, Police and Crime Commissioner, West Midlands.
11:30am - Break.
11:45am - Breakout Session.
12:30pm - Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conference, Reducing the Risk of Domestic Abuse.
1pm - Lunch
1:45pm - Impact on Victims and Gender Equality - Lucy Hadley, Campaigns and Public Affairs Manager, Women's Aid Federation of England.
2:15pm - The Role of the CPS and Approach to Handling Domestic Abuse - Suzanne Llewellyn, Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor, West Midlands.
2:45pm - Break.
3pm - Public Health Concerns - John Denley, Director of Public Health, City of Wolverhampton Council.
3:30pm - Consideration of scenario and panel Q&A.
4pm - Closing remarks - Councillor Lynne Moran, Council Representative on The Haven, Wolverhampton Board.