Mental Health First Aid - 2 Day Adult Course - Hatfield
Sep 16, 2019 at 09:00 — Sep 17, 2019 at 17:00 (BST)
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course which teaches people how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis.
Adult MHFA courses are for everyone aged 16 upwards. Every MHFA course is delivered by a quality assured instructor who has attended our Instructor Training programme accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health, and is trained to keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Supporting good mental health in your organisation
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) England training courses teach people to spot the signs of mental health issues, offer initial help and guide a person towards support. We don’t teach people to be therapists, but we do teach people to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis - and even potentially reach out to someone before a crisis happens.
Quality mental health training, underpinned by a robust wellbeing strategy, gives people the tools to keep themselves healthy and support each other. It can also help to:
• Build employees’ confidence to have open conversations around mental health and break the stigma
• Encourage people to access support early when needed, for a faster recovery
• Empower people with a long term mental health issue or disability to thrive in work
• Promote a mentally healthy environment, stopping preventable issues and allowing people to thrive and become more productive
• Embed a long term positive culture across the whole organisation, where employees recognise their mental and physical health are supported as equal parts of the whole person
Mental Health First Aid England - two day Course
The Mental Health First Aid England two day course qualifies employees as Mental Health First Aiders.
Attendees will gain:
• An in-depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
• Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of a range of mental health issues
• Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress using the Mental Health First Aid action plan
• Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
• Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support - whether through self-help resources, internal support such as EAP, or external sources such as their GP
• Understanding of how to keep themselves safe while performing their duties
• A quick reference card for the Mental Health First Aid action plan
What to expect
Learning takes place through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities and each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan. We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Everyone who completes the course gets:
• A manual to refer to whenever they need it
• A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support their own mental health
• A certificate of attendance to say they are a Mental Health First Aider
• A copy of the Line Managers' Resource, an invaluable source of advice on how to support an employee experiencing mental ill health
How will attending an MHFA course help?
Research and evaluation shows that taking part in an MHFA course:
• Raises awareness and mental health literacy
• Reduces stigma around mental ill health
• Boosts knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues
• Promotes early intervention which enables recovery
What will I learn?
Learning takes place through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions. What you learn will depend on the length of course you attend:
WHY choose Mental Health First Aid England training?
MHFA England is the only provider of licensed Mental Health First Aid Instructor Training in England
The MHFA England Instructor Training programme is accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health
Grounded in research and rigorously tested, our courses are developed by experts with input from people with lived experience of mental health issues
You'll be joining a community of over 2.6 million MHFA-trained people in 25 countries around the world
10 years of growth
MHFA England's 1,800 qualified instructors have trained over 400,000 people in England to date
Mental Health First Aid 2 day course
Monday September 16th - 9.00 to 17.00
Tuesday September 17th - 9.00 to 17.00
Hatfield, Hertfordshire - venue to be confirmed
Price per attendee