Oct 26, 2019 at 09:00 — Oct 27, 2019 at 16:00 (BST)
Organiser: The OLLIE Foundation
Please bring your own lunch.
Please arrive for 08.45 to leave time for registration on Saturday.
Course runs 09.00 - 16.00 Saturday and Sunday.
ASIST is developed by Living Works: https://www.livingworks.net/programs/asist/
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first aid. ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may have thoughts of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety. Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants don't need any formal training to attend the workshop—anyone 16 or older can learn and use the ASIST model.
Studies show that the ASIST method helps reduce suicidal feelings in those at risk and is a cost-effective way to help address the problem of suicide.
Learning goals and objectives
Over the course of their two-day workshop, ASIST participants learn to:
- Understand the ways that personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions
- Provide guidance and suicide first aid to a person at risk in ways that meet their individual safety needs
- Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan and the actions required to implement it
- Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large
- Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention including life-promotion and self-care
- Presentations and guidance from two LivingWorks registered trainers
- A scientifically proven intervention model
- Powerful audiovisual learning aids
- Group discussions
- Skills practice and development
- A balance of challenge and safety
Quotes from previous delegates:
Thank you @THE_OLLIE_FOUND for providing an excellent weekend of learning with @Living_Works #suicideprevention I feel worn out but privileged to have been with such an great group of people. I have learnt so much & I hope I can make a difference.