Photoshop and Illustrator tips for book publishers
May 16, 2019 at 09:30 — 16:30 (BST)
Organiser: Publishing Scotland
Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator are well known as the industry standard software used by publishers to create, adjust and manipulate graphics for books and magazines.
This course is intended for new or light users of Photoshop and Illustrator who want to gain speed and confidence and be sure they are working in the most efficient way.
This is a hands-on practical course where attendees are led though exercises by experienced publishing software trainer Ken Jones. Topics include:
- Selection tips and techniques
- Using smart objects and smart filters in a non-destructive workflow
- Combining, grouping and managing layers
- Transparency and blend modes
- Text effects and combining text and images
- Placing, pasting, linking and embedding artwork
- Adjustment layers
- Understanding and working with layer and vector masks
- Tool tips, shortcuts and presets
- Image trace and compound paths
- Pathfinder, symbols and appearance
- Swatches, spot colours, gradients
- Creating and running actions in Photoshop and Illustrator
- Working across Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign using CC Libraries and Adobe Bridge.
- Overview of colour settings, resolution and resampling
- Please bring a laptop (PC or Mac) with the relevant software to join in the exercises. Ahead of the course you will receive information about which software tools you need to download onto your laptop.
- A PC can be provided by the venue for an extra fee but it is not able to provide Apple iMacs. The venue is not able to provide the relevant software.
The course is led by Ken Jones a publishing software expert with over ten years' experience as Technical Production Manager, software trainer and developer at Penguin Group UK. He is the mastermind behind Circular Software, which offers workflow advice, software tools and training to improve how publishers produce their illustrated print and digital books.
The fee is £225+VAT /£210+VAT early booking (members); £295+VAT/£275+VAT early booking (non-members). Non-members that are charities can get an additional £20 charity discount - use code CHARITY. Book by 2 April 2019 to get early booking rates. If you wish to use a PC provided by the Edinburgh Training Centre (ETC), this will cost an additional £15+VAT.