InDesign: Marketing Materials
May 14, 2019 at 09:30 — 16:30 (BST)
Organiser: Publishing Scotland
Adobe InDesign, the industry standard software used by publishers to create books and magazines, is also excellent for creating professional and well-designed adverts, marketing material, brochures and simple web graphics.
This one-day hands-on practical course leads attendees through practical exercises to design, create and edit flyers, leaflets, posters and other sales and marketing materials. No prior experience of InDesign is assumed.
The professional techniques taught during the day also serve as an ideal introduction to confidently working with book files.
Attendees are led though exercises by experienced publishing software trainer Ken Jones. Topics covered include:
- Navigating InDesign
- Saving, editing, sharing and making new documents
- Managing fonts
- Working with templates and using a house style guide
- Professional use of character and paragraph styles
- Legally using free and commercial image libraries
- Image resolution and formats
- Placing images, cropping, scaling and wrapping text around images
- Bringing in text from Word
- Text Frame options and flowing text through multi page documents
- Creating and applying Master Pages
- Exporting for print and digital
- Please bring a laptop (PC or Mac) with the relevant software to join in the exercises. Ahead of the course you will receive information about which software tools you need to download onto your laptop.
- A PC can be provided by the venue for an extra fee but it is not able to provide Apple iMacs. The venue is not able to provide the relevant software.
The course is led by Ken Jones a publishing software expert with over ten years' experience as Technical Production Manager, software trainer and developer at Penguin Group UK. He is the mastermind behind Circular Software, which offers workflow advice, software tools and training to improve how publishers produce their illustrated print and digital books.
The fee is £225+VAT /£210+VAT early booking (members); £295+VAT/£275+VAT early booking (non-members). Non-members that are charities can get an additional £20 charity discount - use code CHARITY. Book by 2 April 2019 to get early booking rates. If you wish to use a PC provided by the Edinburgh Training Centre (ETC), this will cost an additional £15+VAT.