Introduction to Copy-editing - November
Nov 7, 2019 at 09:30 — 16:30 (GMT)
Organiser: Publishing Scotland
The copy-editor is the vital link between author, publisher, typesetter and reader, and ensures that written material is clear, accurate and correct; that everything is there, and in the right place; that no part of the text contradicts another part; that nothing in the text will create legal or inclusivity problems; and that the copy is thoroughly prepared for trouble-free typesetting. Good copy-editing is invisible – the reader is free to concentrate on content without being distracted by errors of fact, internal inconsistencies, ambiguities, grammatical slips that obscure the meaning, or howlers of phrasing.
- Who's who in the typical publishing process, and your role as a copy-editor
- Who does the copy-editor work for?
- Types of copy, types of copy-editing
- Ensuring inclusive language and legal compliance
- Grammar and punctuation for copy-editors
- Tips and tricks to help ensure accuracy and consistency
Exercises deal with:
- Mark-up, coding and author queries
- Style guides and style sheets
- Lists of all types
- Illustrations: identifying and labelling; positioning in the text; captions and credits
- Preparing accompanying documentation for the publisher
- Improving poor writing in terms of clarity, grammar and punctuation
Who should attend?
People in the publishing industry, those who want to work in editing on a freelance basis, and anyone else who has responsibility for the presentation of written material. Some proofreading experience is desirable.
Cathy Tingle is an experienced editor based in Edinburgh. Cathy is an Advanced Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP) and has just been appointed as the grammar columnist for the SfEP magazine Editing Matters.
£200+VAT/£175+VAT early booking (PS and SfEP members); £280+VAT/£260+VAT early booking (non-members). For early booking discount, book by 26 SEPTEMBER 2019. Non-member registered charities get an additional £20 discount - use the code CHARITY.