Welcome to Proofreading
Nov 7, 2018 at 09:30 AM — 04:30 PM
Organiser: Publishing Scotland
No previous knowledge is required for this one-day introduction to proofreading. Through practical exercises using a variety of accessible texts, the course aims to teach students the basic proofreading skills and to help them feel comfortable with the methods of ensuring that a document is correct in both content and layout. The materials will be provided both on paper and digitally: students are welcome to bring their own laptops if they wish to do the exercises on screen. (Note: the course will use Adobe Reader XI.)
Discussion will include:
- The art of proofreading
- Proofreading and reading - what's the difference?
- Correcting paper proofs using the British Standard proofreading symbols
- Correcting PDFs on screen using Adobe Reader, and 'proof-editing' using MS Word
- Style sheets
- A methodical approach to checking for consistency
- Carrying over information or queries
- What can go wrong
Practical exercises on the day will cover:
- Accuracy - developing error-spotting techniques
- Marking errors and omissions, on paper and on screen
- Changing the appearance of the text
- Correcting problems with spacing and alignment
- Ensuring consistency in layout and sequencing
- Checking that the content makes sense!
You will take away a folder of handouts and model answers to the exercises, for reference and as examples of good practice.
Who should attend
People who write material and/or check written documents and want to improve their proofreading skills. The course is suitable for those with no previous formal experience or who have responsibility for the presentation of documents and wish to develop their skills in a more formal way.
Margaret Aherne is a highly experienced editor, proofreader and project manager. Margaret is also author of a book of proofreading exercises.
£200+VAT/£175+VAT early booking (members); £280+VAT/£260+VAT early booking (non-members). Registered charities get an additional £20 discount. For early booking discount, book by 26 SEPTEMBER 2018. Book online now.